ACT & District Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club Inc|
Code Of Ethics
The ACT & District Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club Inc. has been formed to promote the breed in a positive light. The future of the breed is dependent upon the actions of owners,
breeders and exhibitors. Members shall note that upon entering membership to the ACT
& District SBTC they agree to and are bound by the club's code of ethics as follows:
- A member shall at all times ensure any dog kept by them will be provided with proper shelter, food, water,
exercise and receive proper veterinary attention when and if required.
- A member shall not allow any dog kept by them to roam at large or to become a public nuisance. When away
from home, a member shall ensure their dogs are kept on a lead or under effective control at all times.
- A member shall not knowingly misrepresent the breed or bring the breed or the club into disrepute.
- A member shall breed only with the intent of improving and/or maintaining the breed standard
- A member shall not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, dealers or retail pet shops, or directly or
indirectly allow a dog to be given as a prize or donation in a contest of any kind.
- A member shall not breed from a bitch until she has reached adequate maturity and is in good health and thereafter not more than once in each succeeding period of 12 months. However should it be necessary through extenuating circumstances, to breed a bitch twice in 2 consecutive seasons the bitch shall be rested on the next season.
- A member shall not permit any of the member's pure bred dogs to mate with a dog of a different breed, to a cross bred dog or to any unregistered Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
- The member shall not transfer from that member's care any puppy under the age of 8 weeks of age, thus allowing for vaccinations which must be given at 6 weeks of age and allowing for the necessary 10-14 days for the vaccine to take effect.
- A member shall ensure that all persons acquiring dogs from them that they clearly understand their responsibilities for the care and welfare of the animal and can provide for the time and facilities that this requires (i.e. adequate fencing and socializing)
- The member shall provide to all purchasers of dogs placed or sold, appropriate written details regarding dietary and immunization requirements and any other relevant/appropriate publications relating to responsible ownership.
- A member shall ensure that when selling or transferring a dog to another person that all documents as required by the ACTCA (or its successor), regulations will be provided to the purchaser or transferee.
- Any Staffordshire Bull Terrier owner/breeder/exhibitor shall NOT condone, support or ignore the practice of pitting a dog against another dog or animal of any kind for sport or profit. Any information regarding this kind of barbaric sport shall be reported to the appropriate authorities.
- All members of the ACT & District Staffordshire Bull Terrier Club shall always try to conduct themselves in a manner that will bring credit to the club and the breed. Good sportsmanship is be fostered always.